Sunday, May 6, 2018

The Official End of an 18 Month Adventure, But Life Still Goes On!


I waited a little bit to write the last one. I wanted to see how different life would be.
I still read the Book of Mormon everyday! Some days are more studious than others. I think I missed one day, but I didn't let that crumble the steel wall. I still pray every day, formally and in my head through the day.


All I could talk about was seeing my dog. The whole last transfer, just him.
He is black with tan. He is little. He is cute when he sleeps. I love my dog. My dog's name is Jason He is a wiener dog. He is flippen cute.


The last Tuesday we went to the Temple, there was a point where Pres. Fisher came up to us and pointed at his top choices on who will get married first. Sis. Palmer and Sis. Smith M. were his candidates. (My thought, I'll be last!) we took some pictures and we went to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building for our banquet. We each bore our testimonies and then we were back to the square by about 2:30.

Wednesday, I was the last one to leave the square for my flight home. I felt like I was there for forever. You make sacrifices to come on a mission, but once you love it, it can be really hard to leave. Temple Square was a home. D&C 88:119 has a whole new meaning. That was a family, a community that I had never been in, surrounded by LDS women, my friend group was all Mormon! Crazy to think.

Being released wasn't scary. it wasn't long. It wasn't really much. I talked a bit with Pres. Walker. then he handed me this envelope and said there you go.

That's it?
Yeah.
Really?
Yep.
Just like that.
Yes, just like that.
Oh.
Anti-climatic.

I changed into pants and I chucked my mission shoes in the trash a the church. They were broken and worn! So good.

There are haven't been too many occasions that I wanted to run back to Temple Square and be surrounded by all of my friends and having the spirit around me, through them and by the holy buildings on square. I think of this time last year on my mission, I think of the beautiful flowers, the sisters not having to wear heavy coats so they can be just as bright, colorful and gorgeous as the flowers.

I was with one of my friends from home (remember my friend group pre-mission was all non-members) and there was something off, something weird. Here a person I love, enjoy being around, have had so many fun adventures with, why does it feel odd to be with her?

She didn't have the companionship of the Holy Ghost. I was just amazed that I could feel the lack of the spirit. Not saying she is bad or evil, but I could recognize something vital as the Holy Ghost wasn't with both of us. And I will always be aware of that (as long as I am worthy of the Holy Ghost)

When I came home i didn't feel different right off the bat, but there was a moment were i just didn't understand exactly what I was feeling, why i felt weird, something was lacking. When you are a missionary the whole church is praying for you. almost hourly, even multiple times in consecutive hours saints are constantly praying for missionaries and the work they do. In the temples across the globe, parents teaching their young children, family members and friends praying for their missionaries, current and old companions, mission leaders. Whether it is for a specific missionary or all of us in general. And then a 10 to 15 minute conversation strips you of those prayers. I wasn't part of that any more, I don't qualify for that spiritual boost that we have for missionary work.

One time during the summer of my mission I was at EF desk talking to a return missionary (RM) couple. I said something like, "yeah while you are missionary everyone loves you and cares for you!" And maybe a downer thought after that.
The guy said even when your not a missionary we still love you.
That comment took me by surprise. But it is true. RMs have a responsibility to take their experiences, to their spiritual growth and use it, no matter how little it may seem to be. Such as those going home to countries that are just beginning to grow in the Gospel. One sister from Thailand said that when she goes home she'll probably be a seminary teach because she gained all this spiritual knowledge that a good portion don't have, she seemed weighed down by the responsibility. But her ward, her stake, her country will continue to love her for her service she did, but as well as the new callings she will receive.
The group of people that "care" about and "pray" for me may have shrunk, but that doesn't change my worth in the eyes of my Father in Heaven. I still have a work to do. I don't know exactly what it may be now, but I do know that as I stay worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost, I will be lead and directed as Heavenly Father sees fit. I am grateful to be in a University where the vast majority of us are LDS, class starts with a prayer, temporal and spiritual are mixing together to make us all Intelligent Disciples of Christ.


My mission was the best thing for my life. I wouldn't pray, read the scriptures, rely on Heavenly Father or the Atonement of Christ, or take church services seriously as I do now. I am beginning to understand so much more better what it means to have faith.

10 out of 10, highly recommend a mission. It's good for the soul.


I am a dyed in the wool; true blue, through and through disciple of Christ. I plan on being one until the day I die, and then some. 😉


It's been seven weeks, one adventure is over, but another one has begun!  Catch ya later!


Allison Jo Glanzer


Washington... State
Eastern Washington
North Central Washington
Nowhere near Seattle
Two hours north of Wenattchee
Twenty minutes from the Canadian Border
In the desert, yes it gets over 100 degrees, yes it snows.



The Fishers and I outside the Salt Lake Temple

Top: me, S. Palmer: South Africa, S. Sturzenegger: GA, S. Wagner CA/Mexico
S. Zeller, MA: S. Smith A., AZ: S. Coleman, TX: S. Richey, WA: S. Sneddon Germany
S. Roberts, WA: S. Tse, Hong Kong: S. Franco, Columbia: Pres. Fisher.
S. Shumway, HI: Sis. Fisher: S. Smith M., AZ

My whole family! The children being held were born on my mission.


Gus, Mom, me, Dad. Fresh off the plane! 4 hours until I am home



I literally chased a rainbow 
Hanging with my long lost friends, glad they still like me!


Heading out to BYUI
Just before they left me for good.

My Beloved Pup, Jason
He loves me, put his own paw on my leg.
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!